Potassium is a blood mineral that plays a vital role in both cellular and electrical functions of our body. It is responsible for skeletal and smooth muscle contraction that keeps our digestive, nerve, and muscular system working properly.
A small change in the levels of potassium in the body could greatly affect different body systems. Once the potassium becomes insufficient, the cellular process can be altered, leaving us weak and tired.
Facts about potassium:
- The normal potassium level is 3.5-5.0 mEq/L
- One out of five Americans is diagnosed with low levels of potassium in their body
- People who suffer from eating disorders and went through surgeries are more prone to potassium deficiency
- Sources of potassium include the following:
- Lima beans
- Potassium is well-absorbed from the small intestines.
- Medicines and diuretics caused the kidney to excrete more potassium than
Eating a nutritious food is the best solution to prevent nutritional deficiency, but sometimes, taking supplements and other alternatives may be advisable. Bentonite clay is enriched with trace minerals such as potassium, iron, and magnesium. By mixing a tablespoon of bentonite clay with water, you create an instant drink that will make up for the nutrients your body needs.