Potassium is important in muscle strength, nerve functioning, and cardiovascular system. It is present within cells and responsible in various enzymes functions.
There are a lot of possible causes why our body suffer from loss of potassium. It can be because of the food you eat or some health conditions that prevent your body from absorbing the mineral. Unknowingly, your body excretes more potassium during the following situations:
- Low levels of magnesium and folic acid
- Imbalanced level of sodium
- Kidney failure and other kidney disorders
- Illnesses that result to vomiting and diarrhea
- Excessive drinking of alcohol and diuretics
- Imbalanced diet
- Medications such as antibiotics, bronchodilators, steroids, or theophylline
Potassium deficiency can be characterized by fatigue, nausea, and constipation. When these symptoms occurs, visit a nearest health center to have your potassium levels tested.
Eating a nutritious food is the best solution to prevent nutritional deficiency, but sometimes, taking supplements and other alternatives may be advisable. Bentonite clay is enriched with trace minerals such as potassium, iron, and magnesium. By mixing a tablespoon of bentonite clay with water, you create an instant drink that will make up for the nutrients your body needs.