Potassium is a blood mineral we do not want our blood to go low on. It balances both chemical and electrical processes in our body and keeps our digestive, nerve, and muscular system working properly.
According to the Institute of Medicine, an average adult should consume at least 4,700 milligrams of potassium per day to remain healthy. A slight change in the levels of potassium in the body could disrupt various cellular processes which include energy production and oxygen transport. Here are some facts you need to know about potassium:
- The normal potassium level is 3.5-5.0 mEq/L
- One out of five Americans is diagnosed with low levels of potassium in their body
- People who suffer from eating disorders and went through surgeries are more prone to potassium deficiency
- Sources of potassium include the following:
- Lima beans
- Potassium is well-absorbed from the small intestines.
- Medicines and diuretics caused the kidney to excrete more potassium than
Eating a nutritious food is the best solution to prevent nutritional deficiency, but sometimes, taking supplements may be advisable. For instance, you can take bentonite clay as an alternative supplement. This clay is enriched with trace minerals such as potassium, iron, and magnesium. By mixing a tablespoon of bentonite clay powder with water, you create an instant drink that will replace nutrients your body's missing.