There are two types of bentonite clay you can add in your health and beauty regimen: sodium or calcium. While both fall under the smectite clay group, they, too, have differences in terms of their properties and how they are commonly used.
Whether you’re an avid user of bentonite clay or just gaining interest towards clay cleansing, you can consider the guideline below to help you get a clearer understanding of sodium and calcium bentonite clay:
- Sodium Bentonite can expand 15 times its dry size when wetted with water. It will maintain its swelling ability throughout its use.
- Sodium Bentonite has been proven to be an effective water proofing ingredient in manufacturing industries.
- Calcium bentonite is a non-swelling clay.
- Because of its calcium content, calcium bentonite can be used as a mineral supplement for both humans and animals.
- Calcium bentonite has no consumption restrictions while sodium should be ingested sparingly. Sodium bentonite can expand and could cause constipation.
- Both sodium and calcium bentonite can be used externally as a clay bath, skin detoxifier, and natural treatment for skin irritation.